Thursday, July 21, 2011

Memorial/Birthday Weekend!

My Birthday has always been easy to remember. If you can remember Memorial Day/Weekend, you will never miss my Birthday! We weren't to sure about what we wanted to do this year for my weekend. We really wanted to got to Matagorda, but then again we wanted to go to Deer camp. Decisions, Decisions! Finally we decided we should go to Deer camp. There was lots more for us to do there than at the beach. Plus my Mom and Dad were coming with us to celebrate! We knew we would have a fun-filled weekend, But boy was I in for a treat or what!!!

James had his boys this weekend as well, so they came with us! My parents kept the kids Friday night and were suppose to meet us down at Deer camp on Saturday. (This was our one day to ourselves for my birthday, so that Jonathan could take me out to dinner.) Saturday morning we woke up and got everything ready to go to Deer camp. After lunch we headed down there. Saturday was my actual Birthday and Mom and Dad usually cook for me on this day. Its my Birthday present from them, which is always AMAZING!!! Finally my parents and the kiddos get to deer camp. (James and his boys had followed us out there.) We set up at the pond. Dad made some Steaks, fresh sweet corn, and red potatoes. YUMMY!! The kids played and played in the pond til dark! They love to swim! Me and Jonathan relaxed and fished a little bit. I was pretty pooped after eating such a good meal, that I called it a night!!


Watching the kiddos play in the pond!


Venturing around the pond!


Rhea and Camo man Aiden

Jonathan aren't you suppose to take the boat in the water???? LOL!
 Sunday we woke up and all went to Mass in Inez. Afterwards we rounded up and headed over to our other deer camp in Tivoli. The deer camp in Tivoli is not as nice as Inez. In Tivoli there is no running water, or electricity. We have an old camper and generator set up out there though. We mainly stay in Inez and go to Tivoli during the day to fish. We are right on the river. The fishing is usually pretty good, and so is the hunting.
We got to Tivoli a little after lunch. We ate and then headed to find a good fishing spot. Before heading out though, SoSo had a talk with the kids. She said, "This is not like Inez, there are lots of wild animals, especially in the river, like alligators, and snakes. Even though SoSo loves y'all if you fall in, I am not going in after you, we'll just say I love you and Good-bye!" I think the kids got the hint! LOL! When we got to our first location, we spotted an alligator! The kids all grabbed their BB guns and started to shoot it! I told them that was enough, if they made it mad it would come after them! We went ahead and fish this spot for a while anyways. The alligator was on the other side of the bank and was constantly watching us. Every once in a while when we started to reel up our fishing poles the alligator would come closer to us. Finally James got the gun out and shot the alligator when it came too close to us. Jacob being the silly boy he is, said " Whew! That was a close one! If someone would have fell in, we would have waved and said Good-bye to them. Right Kimmie?!" As I started laughing at him I agreed. We then moved to another fishing spot.

This next fishing spot we stop at was a GREAT location! We saw lots of fish splashing and a few Gar. James had all his Gar fishing equipment out and was determined to catch one. I was really hoping that he would to! I had never EVER seen a Gar, besides pictures or magazines. Little did I know that God was sending me my Birthday present that day. James, SoSo, and I set up on one side and Jonathan walked down a little ways with my Dad and the kids. I threw my pole in and several times something tugged and got away with my bait. Me being a Daddy's girl, he had to come check on me. He baited my hook with some extra meat and fish and went back to the kids. Just before throwing my line in the kids came running with a skeleton of a Gar. They just had to show me their latest adventure find! I threw my line in the water, same spot, and within 3 minutes something just took off with it. I jerked back really hard, to make sure I set the hook. I am jerking and pulling and reeling my butt off! James comes over there and keeps telling me "You got a Gar, that has got to be a Gar." I just kept thinking to myself, " Whatever James, I just got a really big Catfish!" After fighting with the fish, it is slowly making itself to the bank. Once it comes close enough it floats a top and I catch a glimpse of it. I start screaming with excitement! My adrenaline is pumping, my heart is pumping 90 to nothing. James runs to the truck to get the gun. Jonathan, my Dad and the kids heard me screaming and came running! James got the gun and Jonathan got the gaft. (Where we were fishing off of was a 10 ft. drop off) I had to try and bring the Gar up as best as a could for them to get a shot on it. James shot it a few times and it finally gave up. We then brought it up with the gaft. I couldnt' believe how BIG it was! All the kids were in AWE! I also couldn't believe I caught it on my Zebco pole with a 20lb. test! This is what I reeled in:

5 ft. Alligator Gar, 54lbs.

Jacob wasn't too sure about it, but the other kids were amazed!

My first Alligator Gar! 5 ft. 54lbs.

After all that excitement, we fished a little longer. Only til I caught my next big catch! A 12lb Catfish! Jonathan said, "I'm glad your Birthday only comes once a year!"

After all, It was one of the greatest Birthdays I have ever had. I caught some darn good fish, and was surrounded by family who love me!

1 comment:

  1. Holy cow, girl. If you had more than one birthday in a year, that fishing spot would be SOL. My mom would be so jealous if she saw these pics. Looks and sounds like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete